I recently realized that I have only ever had two brands of hiking boots. I have wide feet and can’t stand shoes that bother me, so I guess I have stuck with what I know. Unfortunately, that also means I didn’t know what I was missing.
That said, I also want to showcase a bunch of different gear on the blog because I know that different people have different needs and don’t want hear about the same brands all the time.
When Hi-Tec offered to send me a pair of their new Harmony Mid WP (Waterproof) hiking boots, I jumped at the chance (but also warned them I may not be the best subject to test them out because of my wide feet.) They sent me a half size larger than my normal shoe size (which I actually usually lean towards in hiking boots anyway) and hoped for the best.
I have certainly put some miles on the boots and, as always, this post will be updated as I am given a chance to use them even more in different conditions.
What I love about the Hi-Tec Harmony Mid WP:
- They are light. Light enough that I was certain they had sent me the wrong thing when the box came.
- The traction is great, even on the sliding slopes of the Badlands behind our home.
- The laces are really long and allow for lots of adjustment (yes, a small thing, but a great convenience!)
- They accomodate my wide feet with no pinch-points (this is a HUGE deal for me.)
- Despite their appearance (the mesh upper threw me off) the boots truly are waterproof (at least in my tests.) This will be an area I will update in time because we literally have had very little moisture in the past few months to test them in. However, in an effort test the boots the best I could, I did immerse my feet in running and standing water in the bathtub and stayed completely dry.
Not So Crazy About:
- The color (trivial, I know) but they seem too light, at least for my taste. However, the color is such that they really don’t show the dirt, which is a good thing.
*Again, as I really am able to put some intense miles on these boots, I will update this section. I am sure things will come up (because they always do!) However, for now I am really impressed.
The Stats, right from Hi-Tec:
Harmony Mid WP
Weight: 12.4 oz.
Available sizes: 5-10, 11
MSRP: USA $125, Canada $160
Available colors: Light Taupe/Ultra Marine (what I have), Cool Grey/Celery
Waterproof nubuck and mesh upper
Rustproof hardware and Ghillie lacing system
Anti-odor, anti-microbial OrthoLite sockliner
Contoured CMEVA midsole
Durable Vibram outsole