Gear Review: Chaco’s Otis Shoe for Kids
When I had the opportunity to review a pair of Chaco shoes for kids this fall, I was a little thrown off. I have loved Chaco sandals for years and years and wasn’t sure I would be able to wrap my brain around something other than what I knew and loved. However, I took a little more of a leap of faith than I am used to doing and decided on the Otis Shoes for J to wear.
The Otis for toddlers is a shoe with bungee laces (which I loved) and made completely of leather/suede (also good for busy kids.) However, it didn’t seem as “technical” as other shoes I am usually drawn to. Again, a leap of “gear testing faith.” I honestly expected to have to talk J into wearing them because they look different (less “technical” and a little more “natural”) than anything else he owns.
But, as those “leaps” often teach me, the Otis has become a favorite pair around here. They have gone camping, hiking, biking, nature walking and to preschool with J. Best part? They look the same as they did the day we got them (after great mud and dirt play!)
What we loved:
– Super easy-on (bungee laces for the smaller sizes, regular laces for the older kids)
– Available in 3 different neutral colors
– Suede leather doesn’t show dirt, doesn’t scuff and looks good enough for play AND church.
– The fit is not sloppy and allows for safe play
– Higher shoe allows for a bit more foot support and protection from the elements.
– EcoTread is made from recycled rubber
What we weren’t so crazy about:
– I wish the tread were just a bit more aggressive. J had some troubles keeping his feet on his bike pedals when the weather was a bit more wet out. Partly due to the fact that he is a new rider, partly due to just a smaller tread.
Not just for kids
The Otis is available not only for toddlers (starting at size 10) but all the way up to adult (men’s) sizes. You can see the full line here.
More from Chaco for kids + Enter to Win!
Make sure you check out these other reviews of kid shoes from Chaco from some of my very favorite bloggers, and enter to win a pair too! You can find the full list of reviews + instructions on how to win here. Good luck!
The Bottom Line
Great all- around shoe for kids AND adults. Chaco does not disappoint!
Chaco generously provided us a pair of the Otis Shoes for this review. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own!
© 2012, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.