Gear Review: Keen Bryce WP Hiking Shoes
I am a huge fan of KEEN footwear. They fit my feet well, provide a healthy structure to my insoles and let me adventure without worry. In general, I give them two thumbs up. Up until this point, my favorite shoe from Keen has been the Targhee II Hiking shoe. While I get most of my use out of them in the cooler months, you will see them on my feet all year long. They are light, waterproof and their traction has been dependable.
And yet, I think the Bryce WP, just knocked the Targhee II right
out of the water off the trail.
I admit, I was pretty skeptical of how they looked when I first got them (and yes, I know, this shouldn’t be something to worry about…) You will notice right away that the arch is filled in, which KEEN claims helps with stability on uneven terrain (because the added surface area touching the ground helps with grip.)
What I love about the Bryce WP (suggested retail; $125):
- Waterproof (this is big for me since I am often chasing kids out of water and mud on the trail)
- Excellent traction. Absolutely Excellent, even on loose dirt/gravel. I guess that filled in arch really does help…
- True to KEEN’s history on my feet, uber comfortable right out of the box.
- Great shoe for wearing on the trail and then for the rest of your day too.
- Available in both a “shoe” style and a “MID” style (for just a little more ankle support.)
What I wasn’t so crazy about:
- Just the way they LOOK more chunky and clunky. However, it’s growing on me….maybe because how they feel and perform outweighs everything else.
KEEN generously provided me a pair of Bryces for review purposes. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly my own. Additionally, some of these links are affiliates. By clicking through them and purchasing from the merchants you help offset the cost of this blog (and all the work that goes into it!) in a VERY small way. Thanks!
© 2012, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.
The Bottom Line
The Bryce is my new favorite hiker from KEEN. Highly recommended for trail and town.