Gear Review: Teton Sports Celsius Junior Kids’ Sleeping Bag and Giveaway
The Celsius Junior from Teton Sports was the only kids’ sleeping bag that we reviewed that was rectangular-shaped (instead of the “mummy shape” of the other bags.) For summer months when warmth isn’t as much as a factor, J liked being able to be less confined in his bag. AND as the temperatures cool, I suspect it will continue to keep him warm. This really is a no-frills quality bag that is priced accordingly (and available at Amazon.com). It’s a good “starter” bag for car camping and less “extreme” conditions. I only rated it as average because it isn’t as “techy” as the other bags we looked at, but it is still absolutely a quality bag .
What we loved:
- Lots of room for kids to move around without feeling constrained by the bag.
- The “no-snag” zipper (which is huge for kids around here) opens from top OR bottom which means you can put your toes out if they get too hot.
- While it was the biggest of the bags, it still stuffs down to a reasonable size.
- It’s +20 rating seems about right – it is a warm bag.
- It has a small interior pocket for keeping treasures close (J kept his headlamp there.)
- Two color options
What we weren’t so crazy about:
- It is a longer bag with no options for making it shorter. While it did keep J plenty warm during summer months, he will be more effective in the bag as he gets taller.
- The lining isn’t quilted into the bag so it moves around as a separate piece. J found himself sliding around a lot and it would get caught as he went into the bag.
- Since it is rectangularly-shaped, it would be nice if the zipper unzipped at the bottom too so you could lay it out completely flat if needed.
Specs (taken from Teton Sports):
- Dimensions: 66″L x 26″W
- Temperature Rating: –7°C/+20°F
- Fill: SuperLoft Elite™ 4–Channel Hollow Fiber
- Shell: Taffeta
- Lining: 100% Brushed Flannel
- Storage: Taffeta Stuff Sack with Drawstring Closure
- Zipper: Girls – Right Zip | Boys – Left Zip
- Pack Weight: 2.65 lbs
- Pack Size: 13.75″ x 7.75″ x 7.75″
- Color: Girls Brown with Pink | Boys Blue
In case you missed it, see our blog all about why kids’ sleeping bags ARE worth it (with links up to other bags we have reviewed.)
Teton Sports has very generously offered to give one of these bags away to one of you! Winner chooses color. To enter, please use the Rafflecopter Widget below. As always, if you have any questions at all (or are having trouble getting something to work correctly) email me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com and I will help you as quickly as I can.
This review was possible through the generosity of Teton Sports. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own. See our full disclosure here.
The Bottom Line
A good, quality, no-frills bag for a reasonable price.