I am not one to buy bottled water. I am absolutely happy to carry my reusable bottle and refill it where and when I can. Sometimes that means a compromised taste (especially in cities, it seems) but I deal with it. I guess I am a cheap?!?! Economical? Environmentally friendly?
However, I think I have been spoiled now by what is out there. I was given the opportunity to try out Essentia water – and had a supply enough to last me about a week of bottled water. Since it is especially important in pregnancy, I figured I had nothing to lose and drank it solely for that week. While my experiment was far from scientific and I really can’t prove anything, I did notice a few things about how I felt when drinking the water:
- The taste: Absolutely the best water I have ever tasted (and I have tasted some of the best natural water out there and various bottled waters)
- Increased energy (maybe because of better hydration?)
- More clear mind (even in the “fogginess” of pregnancy)
What’s different about Essentia?
- pH 9.5 (opposed to most bottled waters that have a pH of around 7.0, which is neutral.) According to Essentia, “Most human bodies are in a highly acidic state due to factors like stress, diet and harmful environmental contaminants. Over time, a high level of acidity can result in a loss of bone density, muscle strength, and can also negatively impact critical organs such as the kidneys. Consuming an optimally alkaline, high-pH water helps to neutralize the body’s ongoing acidic condition and restore it to a more balanced state. Conventional thinking in health and wellness community is that disease and infection cannot live in an alkaline environment.” Note: Testing the pH of water accurately is not so easy as using pH test strips. Here’s why.
- Faster Hydration: “Essentia removes acidic ions and increases the alkaline earth minerals resulting in an optimally higher pH of 9.5. Essentia’s IST allows for charged electrolytes, better permeation, and therefore, faster hydration.
Cost/Where to Buy:
Essentia water is available in three sizes: 1.0 liter, 1.5 liter and 20 ounce. I usually prefer the bigger sizes and then just refill my own bottles. You can expect to pay anywhere from $1.09 – $2.59 depending on bottle size and region.
Spruce it Up for the Holidays!
I love these recipes of healthy drinks during this holiday time (of increased sugar and alcohol for many people!)
Cranberries and peppermint are colorful and aromatic staples to any holiday season. Plus, cranberries are high in antioxidants and a good source of vitamin C. When combined with Essentia Water, the result is a colorful and refreshing pick-me-up for any occasion.
1.5 liter bottle of Essentia Water 1 cup fresh cranberries ½ cup cranberry juice concentrate
6-8 peppermint mint leaves
Pour Essentia Water into a glass pitcher. Lightly score each cranberry with a small nick and then add to the water. Pour in a splash of cranberry juice for added taste and color. Slightly wilt mint leaves by rolling between fingers and place in water. Save a few mint leaves to adorn the top of each serving glass. For best results, let chill for 6 hours and enjoy.
During a season of giving, oranges represent the ability to share what you have with others. The fresh, citrus scent of a newly peeled orange can liven a room. Vitamin- and nutrient-filled oranges are also known for their natural antioxidant ability, and for aiding in proper digestion. Plus, the orange’s sugar content can provide a natural pick-me-up to help reduce fatigue, which we can all use during the busy holiday season. Ingredients
1.5 liter bottle of Essentia Water
5-7 orange slices
Place sliced oranges in water. Cool in the fridge for 4-6 hours (up to 12 hours for stronger flavor) and enjoy!
For a healthier, non-alcoholic twist to a traditional cocktail, try this fruit-infused Mandarin orange “mocktail.” Tangerines provide an excellent source of vitamin C and flavonoids, which can be beneficial for the immune system and your vision – helpful for keeping a watchful eye as the ball drops in Times Square on New Year’s Eve – or any occasion.
16-oz. bottle of Essentia Water
4-6 Mandarin oranges (OK to substitute with any variety of tangerine or seedless Clementines) ¼ cup sugar ¼ tsp fresh ginger ¼ cup crushed ice Use cocktail shaker to mix 8 ounces of Essentia Water, juice from freshly squeezed Mandarin oranges, 1/8 cup sugar and 1/8 cup fresh ginger and crushed ice. Shake, pour and repeat for “mocktails for two.” Serve in a champagne flute or martini glass adorned with an orange wedge.
Would you buy water specifically to enhance your athletic endeavors? Do you think this water could be any different? What would make you spend money on water? All respectful discussion welcome here!
Win a chance to try it out for yourself!
As usual, please use the Rafflecopter Widget below to enter to win. The winner will be emailed and announced on this post in the Rafflecopter Widget. Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com so I can help! Sorry, this giveaway is open to the U.S. only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Essentia generously provided us samples of water in order to facilitate this review. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own. You can find my full disclosure here.
© 2013, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.