I am so SO excited to introduce you to Muddy Munchkins boots by MyMayu out of Canada. They are a “new kid on the block” and pushing out their first line of footwear for kids that keeps them dry, warm AND moving comfortably and safely. They are a solution to the annoying bulk of mud boots that slows so many kids down.
I’ve been communicating with owner, Suzanne, for months now as we awaited their first shipment and then went through testing. I’ve come to appreciate not only their product, but also the small, family-run business that they are. They are a couple of parents that saw a need and did something about it! More importantly, they are open to feedback and improvement of their product – which says a lot about their business and, in my opinion, guarantees success.
Play Outside. Use your Imagination. Never stop Exploring while Discovering what’s around the next corner. Listen to kids and their Parents. Solve problems. Build the Best Product and never stop Innovating. Love Mother Earth and use Business Practices that keep Her Protected. Give back to our Community.
– MyMayu Mission Statement
MyMayu currently sells their Muddy Munchkin boots and liners in infant toddler sizes 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8. In the spring they will be launching a wider ranch of sizes (up to a size 2) in their MyMayu “Play Boots” and their “Aqua Boots“, which are fully waterproof.
In the interest of testing, we received Muddy Munchkin boots and liners for both L (teeny tiny size 1/2) and P (size 7/8). L is not walking yet, but loves to stand (with help) and we wanted something to keep her dry while she explores to the capacity she is able. My plan was to use the boots in conjunction with the kids’ DucKsday rain suits for wet weather.
The Muddy Munchkin Boots are intended for use on a daily basis for exploring. They are water-repellent (though not proof), ultra-lightweight and provide excellent coverage and protection for little legs. They are great for hiking, exploring, and keeping grasses, sticks and bugs away from them.
While they do not claim to keep feet dry in puddles, we wanted to test them anyway. P is an expert on finding the really deep ones.
He was breaking up the ice (it was a cold day!) and wading in the puddle pictured below for a good 10 minutes. His feet stayed dry and warm. However, when we pulled his boots off, the liners were damp. Considering the depth of the puddle and duration, I thought that was definitely decent for boots that do not claim to be water-proof.
The soles are soft and pliable for easy walking, and the toe box is wide to let little toes move and stay warm in cooler temperatures. Coupled with the liner, the boots are suited for 3 seasons. They aren’t what you are going to tromp around in in 6 inches of snow (but, MyMayu, that WOULD be nice!!! Another line in the future of snow boots?!?!), but are perfect for the rest of the year. If you live in a place with temperatures that don’t drop much below freezing, these could keep little feet happy year-round.
Is Water-Resistant Good Enough?
In most instances, yes! Like I said, P was tromping in a deep, dirty, cold puddle for a substantial amount of time and he was dry and comfortable (with the liners). If your child were wearing classic mud boots, there is always the problem of water coming in up and around the top of the boot when they splash in the puddles (which most kids do). The boots get damp or wet and take a very long time to dry. Because of that fact, the water-resistant Muddy Munchkin boots that cinch at the top are better than any rubber boots out there. Any moisture that does get in can be quickly cleaned up so play can continue again right away. I am looking forward to the Aqua boots in the spring to see what they can handle, but absolutely recommend the Muddy Munchkin boots just the way they are.
What we love about the Muddy Munchkin Boots:
- Super lightweight so no extra bulk for kids to deal with
- They pack up small for travel (which is huge for us)
- They can be worn up high or down low depending on where you tighten the toggle
- While they are not completely waterproof, they are definitely water-resistant
- If they do get wet, it’s very easy to dry them off on the inside quickly and be set to go
- Their fun designs encourage kids to wear their boots (also available in solid colors)
- The upper toggle hits right below the knee which means they stay up and their legs stay protected.
What we think needs improvement:
- This was not an issue for P’s boots, but the shaft on L’s size was tight for chunky baby legs. When she is wearing the liner also, I can’t get them over her rain suit. We just put them under the suit so it was no big deal, but I’d love to have a little more wiggle room. Again, not an issue for the bigger boots – I just think baby legs are chunkier in proportion to their feet than the older kids!
- The soles of the boots are soft and pliable, but when P was really scrambling up rocks and on looser gravel, he did slip some. I’d love to see an option for a beefier tread on the Play Boots in particular. As you can see in the photo below, I’m talking some serious mountain walking – which most kids aren’t doing on a daily basis. In general, the soft and light sole sticks well to most surfaces for great movement and stability.
The boots are awesome for providing an easy-to-move option for little feet. They are the only water-repellent option I know of for babies learning to walk, which is a big deal for when you want to be able to get outside in wetter weather.
We have put a good month of play into these boots and see no sign of wear and tear or failing of the materials. We will continue to use and test and update as necessary.
You can buy the boots directly from MyMayu.com or at this great shop, Biddle and Bop. They are another wealth of information for getting kids out to play for active kids and happy families. They also happy to be family-run and dedicated to great service. We like them so much, we are bringing them on as a sponsor of the blog (which I am VERY picky about). You can also find them on Facebook.
You can find the full line of retailers in Canada and the U.S. on the MyMayu site.
Win a pair of Muddy Munchkin Boots and Helios Liners by MyMayu
Your chance to try them out!
As usual, please use the Rafflecopter Widget below to enter to win. The winner will be emailed and announced on this post in the Rafflecopter Widget. Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com so I can help! This giveaway is open to the U.S. only.a Rafflecopter giveaway
© 2014, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.