We keep getting teasers of warmer weather coming, but I am all too prepared for snow in June – it happens almost every year around here. And while the west coast didn’t get hammered nearly as hard as the east coast, I can safely say that most people across the country are ready for a little change of season.
While many of you are already doing this, we’re just now starting to evaluate the gear we have and what we need to get out as a family. I’ve listed some of those below in case you need to jog your memory too.
It’s also led to a lot of discussions between Mtn Papa and I about how incredibly important it is to have what you NEED to just get out. I’m not saying you need the best or the newest or the cutest or whatever, but a little financial or time investment really goes a long way towards overall family adventure success.
Spending a little extra money to get a pack that fits your child (and you) well or a bike that they can be successful on (good geometry at the very least) and clothing that lasts and protects them can honestly mean the difference between a successful outing and one that just plain bombs. Plus, happy kids means less whining and that’s good for all of us, right?!?
Gear to consider for this summer:
- Sun hats – we love Sunday Afternoons
- Sun glasses – we recommend Real Kids Shakes, Babiators, and Julbo
- Sun/water clothing (shirts, etc.) – we recommend DucKsday USA
- Rain suits and boots – we recommend DucKsday USA and Oakiwear
- Hiking Pants – we recommend ones from REI or Columbia
- Hiking shirts – REI has a bunch right now (the ones in the photo below are Columbia fishing shirts)
- Quality framed backpack carrier or quality ergonomic baby carrier <– don’t skimp on this one! (follow links for recommendations)
- Lighter-weight wool socks for hiking to help wick sweat and moisture
- Good hiking shoes. We recommend KEEN and Adidas hikers for kids.
- Life jackets
- Explorer vests
- Bug nets
- Bug boxes (for catching and studying)
- Sidewalk chalk
- Buckets and shovels
- Magnifying glass
Where to find it:
- Friends and Family
- Consignment shops
- Discount stores like Sierra Trading Post (Affiliate link)
- Smaller local shops
- REI (affiliate link)
What are other must-have items you recommend?!?! Help us add to our list!
And here’s some must-read posts about summer adventuring with kids that we wrote over at the HUB at Sierra Trading Post (a wealth of information!):
Get started on your shopping from Sierra Trading Post:
First of all, use code SHUB0415 for 30% off when you click through HERE. (good until 4/30)
Many thanks to Sierra Trading Post for offering the chance for TWO of you to win a $100 gift card to start your summer-gear shopping! Here’s some recommendations of items they have currently, but these are always changing so check back often! Again, thanks so much for clicking through HERE (affiliate link – no cost to you, helps us out a ton!)
- Sunday Afternoons Infant Bucket Hat <– we highly recommend!
- KEEN Alamosa Hiking Boots for kids
- Smartwool Hiking Socks for kids
- Smartwool crew hiking socks for kids
- Columbia Bug Shield shirt for boys (or girls)
- …..and many, many more!!!
As usual, please use the Rafflecopter Widget below to enter to win. The winner will be emailed and announced on this post in the Rafflecopter Widget. Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com so I can help! This giveaway is open to the U.S. and Canada.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thanks so much for clicking through our affiliate links. They don’t cost you a dime, but they do help offset the cost (both monetarily and in time) of the blog.
© 2015, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.