May is Bike Month!
Every able-bodied kid should learn how to bike. Every single one. As a society we sort of take biking for granted – we assume that by the time a child is at least 10 or so, they know how to ride and can do so safely and efficiently. But, that’s not always the case. Limitations are real due to the costs of having a bike, the need for a safe place to ride and, maybe most importantly, examples of other bike riders in a child’s life. While I wish I could set up every child with a bike, the least I can do is share some great information about why biking is so great, how to get kids started AND some reviews of bikes we’ve tried out. Just a side note – if you are a family that cannot afford a bike, check out The Axel Project – they are getting kids on Strider balance bikes and it’s a GREAT organization.
First of all, here’s my quick list as to WHY kids should bike:
- It improves their balance
- It challenges them and gives them a sense of accomplishment
- It gives them freedom and mobility at a young age
- It encourages outdoor time
- It encourages exercise and a healthy lifestyle
- It’s an activity that the whole family can do (with the right gear, of course)
- It’s a life-long skill that can translate into a “greener lifestyle” when use as transportation
- It’s fun!
- It helps get kids out and seeing places they may not explore via car or by foot
- It’s a “gateway exercise” into other sports and active pursuits!
Linked below are posts from our blog and other blogs we love about biking – they are broken into categories for your convenience. If you have a post or review about biking on your own blog or one you’ve seen and loved, please comment on this post linking us up!
Learning to bike:
- Just Say No to Training Wheels
- 5 Quick Tips for New Balance Bike Riders by Wild Tales Of
- 10 Tips to Make Bike Riding Fun by Family Adventures in the Canadian Rockies
- Balance Bikes Aren’t Just for Toddlers
Choosing a Bike:
- 5 Myths about Kid’s Bikes Every Parent Needs to Know
- Investing in a Lightweight Kids’ Bike by Family Adventures in the Canadian Rockies
- What to Look For in a Kids’ Bike by Play Outside Guide
- Burley MyKick – balance bike
- Joovy Bicycoo and Joovy BMX – balance bikes
- First Bike <– Review coming!
- Woom 2 – 14″
- Specialized Hot Rock – 16″
- Woom 4 – 20″
- Woom 4 Supra – 20″
- Kona Makena 20″
- Trek MT 60 20″
- Specialized Ariel Disc (for women)
Beyond the Bike:
- Chariot Chinook Review
- Burley D’Lite Review
- Strider Ski Attachment for winter riding
- WeeHoo iGo Pro review
- Burley Flatbed Cargo Trailer (for the bike)
- Make Helmet-Wearing as Normal as Biking Itself + Lazer Helmets Review
- 10 Reasons We Love Family Biking
- Ditch the Car, Grab the Bike!
- 10 Tips for Successful Family Rides by Wild Tales Of
- Bike Racing with Twins
- A Biking Birthday Party
Giveaways Coming Up!
Over the next week and a half we will be doing some pretty great giveaways to get kids on bikes! Watch for the following:
- WOOM Bike giveaway (and fun accessories)
- A full family in bike helmets from Lazer Sport
- A bike and helmet from FirstBike
© 2015, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.