I recently received a GoPro as a gift from my husband and my kids think it is the coolest thing ever (I think it’s pretty fun too). The only thing better was a kid-version Action Camera that THEY could use as they biked, hiked and played.
The VTech Kidizoom Action Cam is an affordable ($60) kid-version (ages 4+) of a camera to document their adventures. And my kids are particularly jaded when it comes to photos – they see me take them all the time (of them), so they wanted to use their camera to take photos of me all the time (yea) and each other.
The good news is that they happen to be required to share in this family, and the Kidizoom Action Cam comes with a few different mounts. One boy had the mount on his bike and the other on his helmet. They were able to easily switch the camera from mount to mount as they shared.
I’ll tell you right now that any videos they made were proof as to how all over the place they are with their riding and their checking things out (and moving their head). Watching any of the biking ones makes me a little bit sick. BUT, the cool thing is that they are able to document what they want and check it out later.
We haven’t had a chance to use it under water yet, but I am sure that is next.
What we love:
- Fun way to get kids motivated to get out and document a little
- Super durable camera (it’s already been dropped numerous times), especially with the waterproof case on (which we leave on all the time)
- Mounts are high quality and easy to use
- Easy for kids to switch between photo and video
- Easy to download and access photos
- Rechargeable battery
- Expandable memory up to 32GB with a microSD card (sold separately)
What we aren’t so crazy about:
- The quality is really only so-so. I guess it is a $60 camera so that really isn’t the point, but I expected them to be a little better. It’s definitely MUCH better outside or in full-light situations, but still pretty grainy. We were really not able to get ANY videos in motion (like them riding their bike with it mounted on their bike or helmet) that were worth watching – they just made me motion sick. Could be the videographer, though.
- I don’t know why VTech puts games on their cameras. I want my kids having fun taking photos/videos, not playing games. I wish there were a way to turn them off or block them. Huge pet peeve of mine.
Bottom line – the Action Cam is a fun way for kids to have a little more motivation to be outside, doing fun “epic” adventures and they get to be the one behind the camera. My kids play with ours on a daily basis.
Here’s a video of them doing some rather tame “backyard tricks” (usually it’s like doing jumps off the slide which is balanced on the picnic table, etc.)
Capturing your child’s favorite moments this summer? Enter VTech’s #GreatestSummerEver contest, in which four lucky participants can win a Kidizoom Action Cam of their own.
- Upload a photo/video to Facebook. Entries may also be received through Twitter and Instagram by tagging photo and/or video by using “#greatestsummerever”.
- 4 Winners over a 4 week period. (6/17 – 7/15).Winner will win 1 Action Cam (Purple or Yellow) and One Carrying Case.
Win a VTech KidiZoom Action Cam from us!
One of you will win a VTech KidiZoom Action Cam (choice of yellow or purple) from VTech and us. You’ll have to use your own SD card or buy one (super affordable).
As usual, please use the Rafflecopter Widget below to enter to win. The winner will be emailed and announced on this post in the Rafflecopter Widget. Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com so I can help! This giveaway is open to the U.S. only.a Rafflecopter giveaway
VTech generously provided us this product in order to experience it with our own family and facilitate this review. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own. You can find my full disclosure here.
© 2015, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.