Let’s get this out in the open right now – I am never, EVER bored. I have three young kids, an active blog, and a bunch of ideas that I just can never seem to get to. In fact, I am often quite the opposite – too busy and working to simplify my life. I’m a constant work in progress. But, aren’t we all?
However, sometimes we are just needing a change of pace. It’s what I love about an outdoor life so much – the ability to find adventure in a little stream or a short hike if need be. And the opportunity to challenge and push ourselves by more extreme endeavours when the opportunity arises.
As I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes it’s so easy to forget that even just getting outside for an hour or two makes a world of difference. The hardest part is usually getting out the door.
The truth is I am writing this post for myself (as I often do), but thought you may benefit also. It’s my quick and dirty list of ways to break the monotony of day to day life and find a fresh perspective. Because adventure and color and excitement doesn’t need to be a big deal – it doesn’t mean amusement parks or movies or fancy trips. It doesn’t mean spending a lot of money or stressing over planning. It just means a purposeful jump start on life – and we ALL have times when we need that. Don’t be shocked by the fact that this list is simple – it’s the little things that are always the most memorable and meaningful.
- Go on a walk after dinner for a little extra boost before bedtime. As it gets dark outside, bring headlamps or, even better, glow sticks. You can buy a giant pack of them online at Amazon (thanks for clicking through our affiliate link – helps us out a tiny bit!) for like $9 for 100 of them. They’re also a perfect non-candy Halloween option. So save some for your family, and pass the rest out in October.
- Float a boat down a stream. Super simple, super fun. My kids could literally do this all day. Pack sandals or boots and be ready to get wet (it just adds to the fun!)
- Fly paper airplanes. Look online for instructions – if I can fold them, anyone can!
- Make homemade ice cream. Ice cream balls are a fun way to make the icecream and play as family at the same time. We recommend this one.
- Have a “pirate picnic”. Pack lots of messy food, eat outside and no utensils allowed (you know, like a pirate!) And complement the kid that gets the messiest. Feel free to hose them (and yourself) off afterwards.
- Turn up the tunes. Inside, outside, running down the street – whatever makes your crew laugh the loudest. This speaker has literally changed our listening lives. Great holiday gift idea too.
- Eat chocolate. Should I say it again? Eat chocolate. Or whatever makes you happiest. Candy bars are a HUGE treat in our home, and with the cooler weather, we can finally pack along some Nestlé® Crunch® bars. I like to bribe my kids while hiking (gasp!!), and chocolate never EVER fails for this family. We save it for when we are moving and outside (seems to mute the sugar shock just a little), so it’s extra special and extra motivating.
- Set up a backyard obstacle course. And then run it with your kids. That’s key!
Help me add to this list! How do you pump up the fun?
Your chance to win $20!
As an extra special little treat, we’re giving away $20 (via PayPal) for you to spend on that fun, thanks to the generosity of Nestlé® Crunch®. I recommend spending it on chocolate. But, really, that’s totally up to you!
Nestlé® Crunch® a simply delicious bar with a delightfully disruptive crunch that you can experience with all your senses. Nestlé® Crunch® has been the unconventional, fun-to-eat alternative to plain chocolate for over 75 years. While it’s a product we all loved growing up, we want to show audiences a fresher, more exciting side of NESTLÉ® CRUNCH!
Even better, all Crunch® products are made in the U.S. with real milk chocolate, sustainable cocoa beans, and have no artificial colors or flavors!
As usual, please use the Rafflecopter Widget below to enter to win. The winner will be emailed and announced on this post in the Rafflecopter Widget. Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com so I can help!
A few of these links are affiliates. Thank you so much for clicking through them to make your purchases – it helps offset the cost of this blog in a (VERY VERY) small way! You can find my full disclosure here.
© 2015, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.