I will be the first to admit that I really struggle with sunscreen. I hate applying it, and especially am not fond of dealing with the more natural ones that tend to go on so much harder. I tend to opt for covering up and look forward to less intense sun days when I feel like I can be a little more lax with it.
But, the truth of the matter is that sunscreen is NOT just for the summer. And it’s actually particularly important in the winter when the sun is reflecting off the snow. Shamefully, we tend to get more burnt on our faces in the winter months than the summer…mostly because we just aren’t thinking about it.
So here’s our top reasons why yes, you DO need to wear sunscreen in the winter months:
- The snow and ice reflects big time. So you’re sort of getting a double whammy with the UV rays. Goggle lines for skiers/snowboarders are a real thing. And even if they look kinda cool, they mean more wrinkles and more risk of cancer.
- The higher you are on the slopes (mountains, etc.), the greater your exposure. Summer OR winter.
- Windburn (classic for wintery weather) + sunburn take a huge toll on your skin. AND they make it even easier for harmful sun damage.
- While much of your body is covered by heavy snow gear, your face is not and is extra sensitive.
- The ozone is super important! It acts like the Earth’s sunshield, absorbing harmful UVB rays before they near the ground. However, according to the National Science Foundation Polar Programs UV Monitoring Network, the ozone layer is thinnest in the winter months and therefore leaves us less protected.
Blue Lizard Sunscreen Products
Enter Blue Lizard Sunscreen. These very well may be our new favorite sunscreen and they come highly recommended by us (and many other families we know!) They’re also recommended by dermatologists, which we think says a lot.
First of all, notice in the photo below that the bottles are a blue hue (and the caps of the smaller bottles). This is their unique indication that UV rays are present, even on a cloudy day. In fact, our bottles start turning blue in the house with the slightest bit of sun coming in – again, those UV rays!
Here’s an example of the bottles NOT being effected by UV rays:
Before I speak more about what we love about actually using the sunscreen, here’s some great points about it and the company, directly from them:
- Originally created in Australia, where sunscreen standards are the strictest in the world. Blue Lizard is now made in the U.S., in Johnson City, Tenn.
- Pharmaceutical-grade sunscreen made by Crown Laboratories with the highest quality ingredients.
- Ranked as one of the top sunscreens by the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
- Five sunscreen formulas available: Baby, Sensitive, Face, Sport & Regular – All are broad spectrum UVA/UVB coverage (SPF 30+…all the coverage you need!)
- Baby & Sensitive are paraben-free, chemical-free and fragrance-free; Face is also oil-free and all formulations are mineral-based containing Zinc Oxide.
- Sport & Regular are extremely water resistant. These formulas meet Australian standards of staying on in 240 minutes of whirlpool water.
- Blue Lizard’s patented PBA-free Smart Bottle™ changes color from white to blue (or pink for Baby formula) when it is exposed to harmful UV rays reminding you to put on sunscreen.
So, our standards for sunscreen aren’t that complicated, really. We are looking for the following:
- Effective in the sun
- Safe ingredients
- Goes on easily
While I am anxious to try the sunscreen in the summer months, we have worn it in the intense MT/WY sun lately for skiing and have been impressed on how well it performed. No sunburn, and no issues getting it on and successfully rubbed in either.
We have used the “Face” and “Sensitive” more than anything else and have had no skin irritations on anyone (which isn’t usually the case). I also love that you can purchase these in full gallons. We’ll be doing that this spring.
Finally, all formulas are mineral-based using Zinc Oxide – I like that as a parent!
Special Coupon Code:
Use code P20TALES for 20% OFF orders over $35 at www.bluelizard.net. (Expiration 9/30/16)
Win some Blue Lizard Sunscreen to Try
One lucky person will win the following, thanks to Blue Lizard:
- 5oz Sensitive
- 5oz Face
- 3oz Baby
- 3oz Sport
- Baby sachets
- 2 Color-change UV sensitive bracelets (ARV: $67)
As usual, please use the Rafflecopter Widget below to enter to win. The winner will be emailed and announced on this post in the Rafflecopter Widget. Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com so I can help! This giveaway is open to the U.S. only.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Blue Lizard Sunscreen generously provided us this gear in order to facilitate this review. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own. If you’ve found this review helpful, you always appreciate you supporting us (see the top of the right sidebar for directions on how to make a donation for our efforts)! Thank you!
© 2016, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.