I admit it: As a family, we are water bottle junkies. We use them ALL the time. The West is dry and I am absolutely convinced that adequate hydration is directly linked to our health. I know we do a lot of water bottle reviews on here, but the idea is to promote drinking (water) and show you what is out there. So, bear with us and know that, as always, you are truly getting honest and complete reviews! 🙂
Spoiler: These Avex bottles surprised us as being a new favorite. For everyone.
The cool thing about the Freestyle is the silicone spout (that kids drink out of) is completely protected from dirt and grime and then released with the AUTOSPOUT button for drinking. Which means when kids drop them, assuming the spout is closed up, everything stays clean. HUGE for me. Plus, it’s really fun to push the button. Again and again and again. For our 2 and 4 year old, working the button takes 2 hands, but older kids could release it easily with one. 14 oz. capacity. A little video to show you how easy it is for our 20 month old to do (please excuse the quality, etc. etc.! )
The easiest bottle I own to drink out of. Drinking spout is protected from dirt and I can get a drink one-handed. My only complaint is I wish it were available in a bigger size – UPDATE: they just released them in a 32 oz. size and a stainless steel vacuum insulated version…available later this week. When water is easy to drink, I drink a lot of it! Unlike the kids’ bottle, this one has no straw and you just drink out of an opening that is released by pushing the AUTOSPOUT button. I like that there is just one less piece to worry about!
What we love about these bottles in general:
- Top rack dishwasher safe
- No plastic odors or taste (at all…)
- BPA free
- Drinking spout is easily covered and completely free of dirt and grime at all times (unless someone mashes up their food and shoves it in…..not that that ever happens….)
- Absolutely no leaks
- Patent-pending AUTOSPOUT means one-handed use
- Super durable
- Very affordable
- Available in 4 different colors
What we weren’t so crazy about:
- I wish they were just a little bigger – I drink through my 25 ounces very quickly (see updated above – you can also purchase them in a 32 oz. size)
- Would be great to have a size between the kids’ size and the adult size (like a “big kid” size)
- Pushing the AUTOSPOUT button can be a little tricky for tiny hands, but they seem to figure it out pretty quickly.
- The silicone spout (on the Kids’ Freestyle) can’t be replaced (which is a bummer if you have a “biter”!)
- They aren’t insulated to keep water cold (our biggest issue in the summer.) However, Avex does make other models that ARE insulated (and great too for keeping drinks hot or cold!) Just not for kids….
- I wish the Kids’ bottle came in other colors, but also know on good authority they are coming out with kid graphics later this year.
Avex has so very generously provided us 4 Brazos Bottles and 4 Freestyles to give away! Feel free to enter both giveaways. We’re going to mix things up and get a little creative for this giveaway, so please read the instructions. As usual, please use the Rafflecopter Widgets below to enter to win (and read those aforementioned instructions). Sorry, this giveaway open to the Continental US only. SOO sorry Alaska and Hawaii!! Winners will be emailed and announced on this post in the Rafflecopter Widgets. Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com so I can help! Good luck!
Avex Sport generously provided us these bottles in order to facilitate these reviews. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own. You can find my full disclosure here. Photos taken from the Avex Sport site.
© 2013, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.