Whether you are one of those people that has all your shopping done by now or not for the holidays, this is the time of the year when people start thinking about gifts – for themselves and for others. We try really hard around here to get it through to our kids that giving is the important part and homemade and thoughtful gifts are to be valued. However, we also use this time of the year to give gear gifts to people we love – things that will help them get outside and enjoy themselves (and hopefully get them joining us on adventures too!)
I feel like we are constantly suggesting items we really love here on the blog – but today we are listing some items that may be overlooked. Our hope is to highlight some items that are a bit unique and something that we think anyone would love to receive. We’re also thrilled to be able to offer a couple of giveaways to share the love just a little AND another sweet exclusive discount for Sierra Trading Post.
Make sure you read all the way to the end of this post for an announcement we have literally been cooking up for months now. It’s huge and it’s our chance to give more than we can at any other time of the year (thanks to the generosity of a bunch of different companies.) We just wanted to give you some sneak peeks before the biggest holiday shopping days of the year (whether you buy into them or not!)
As mentioned above, Sierra Trading Post has stepped in once again (because the offer was insanely popular last time) and offered the chance for you all to use a special discount code to get an additional 30% off the shop for the next week. Perfect for some gear shopping, especially if you missed it last week. Another perk for you of our #TeamSierra affiliation.
To get your 30% off, click here and then use code SHUBTS2113. It is good through 11/24 (a week from today!)
Some of our favorite gifts for outdoorsy families
- Wizbang Hats **giveaway posted at the bottom of this post** – Made in our neck of the woods (Bozeman), these hats are super cute, great for numerous different outside pursuits and perfect for women and kids. While they do also have a new men’s line, we haven’t tried it out yet, so can’t speak on it personally. This is one of their new Minky Fleece hats which has a much more generous sizing than any of the others I have tried (and I have tried most styles.) While I continue to be the biggest fan of their headbands, this hat is worn almost daily. It’s not super thick, but uber soft and covers my ears and forehead completely.
- Teton Sports sleeping bag and pad for kids **giveaway posted at the bottom of this post** – In the past year, Teton Sports has made some impressive updates to their Celsius Junior line for kids in response to our mediocre review of the older version last year. We love when companies really listen, and we recommend it very highly now. It also comes in three different color options. You can find our full review (mentioning the pros and cons of both versions here.) Their pad is also great because it is just the right length to use with the bag, packs up small, is super durable and is an adequate width to accommodate kids that move around in their sleep.
- Wee Woolies – We talked about these base layers on our “Layering up Kids for Winter” post last week, but they are worth mentioning again. Great for pajamas or an extra layer and we love that we have finally found affordable merino wool for kids.
- Padraig slippers – These slippers are the most multifunctional, impressive, and comfortable slippers I have ever seen. The kind that you put on and swear you will never wear another pair. The kids (who usually could care less about slippers) wear them daily and worry if they cannot find them. They are also wool so perfect for layering under booties for young kiddos to keep feet and toes warm. They are available in newborn size through adult sizes. Incredible.
- Joey chairs from Travel Chair – We got these chairs just in time for some fall camping with our camper and have loved them. They pack up really small (which makes bringing them along easy) and are comfortable. While they aren’t as generous of a “seat” as some camp chairs, most adults and all kids fit in them well. You can read our full review on them (along with a great camp table by Travel Chair too) here very soon (which we will update as camping season starts again in the spring/summer next year).
- Kickboard USA scooters – If you missed it before, definitely check out our review of the scooters from Kickboard USA. Our kids love them, ride them daily and we rave about them to all our friends. Ann (our new contributing writer on the blog) was actually the one that recommended I check them out – her kids have been on them for years and she can say nothing but good about them.
- Overland Equipment Belvedere bag – I am a huge fan of Overland Equipment bags just because they hold all I need, are super durable, clean up well and withstand years and years of hard abuse. The Belvedere is my new favorite for a bunch of different reasons: the color options all hide dirt well, it’s a little more roomy (than my OE Donner) to allow for carrying more, and has a great combination of zipped and easy-access pockets. My only gripe? No key leash (which I depend on heavily to make sure I don’t lose them!) I take this bag with me almost daily to the gym, playdates and just out. It has plenty of room for two water bottles, snacks, a changing pad, my iPad, and important documents or a good book.
Need More Ideas?
We’re not the only ones with a gift guide posting today. Check out some more from our friends around the #outdoorfamilies web. There are more giveaways too!
- Brave Ski Mom – A Skiing Family’s Letter to Santa: 2 x $50 gifts cards to Activejunky.com
- Crag Mama – An All Weather Gift Guide for All Year Adventures
- AK on the GO – Holiday Gifts for Outdoor Conscious Families
- Skedaddle – Gifts for Outdoor Loving Mothers
- Rain or Shine Mama – 5 Great Christmas Ideas for the Outdoorsy Kid: $100 Gift card to Hanna Anderssson
- Go Adventure Mom – Holiday Gift Guide
- Family Adventures in the Canadian Rockies – Snow Warm! An Outdoor Mom’s Christmas Wish List
- Bring the Kids – A bunch of posts highlighting best gifts for every age with giveaways too (Gibbon Slackline, Strider Bike, PeaPod Plus, ENO DoubleNest Hammock, Coghlan’s Giveaway and Action Wipes Giveaway, and All New Gibbon Funline Slackline Giveaway)
Win from Teton Sports and Wizbang!
Teton Sports and Wizbang have both jumped in with giveaways for you today.
- Teton Sports Celsius Junior Bag (winner’s choice of color) and Pad
- Wizbang Desert Bloom Classic Lightweight Hat
As usual, please use the Rafflecopter Widgets below to enter to win. The winners will be emailed and announced on this post in the Rafflecopter Widget. Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at mountainmamatales(at)gmail(dot)com so I can help! Sorry, these giveaways are open to the U.S. only.
Get ready for our 12 Days of Gear Giveaways coming December 1-12th!
Many of the items on our gift guide here today that are not being given away will show up throughout that event. This was just a teaser. Just saying…
A few of these links are affiliates. Thank you so much for clicking through them to make your purchases – it helps offset the cost of this blog in a (VERY VERY) small way! You can find my full disclosure here.
© 2013, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.