If you’ve been pregnant or had a baby, you’ve been certain that you need like 1000 different items to be survive with a new one and 50 more to be happy. And then after a while you find out that it’s all a lie, and you’ll be itching to rid your living room and closets from all the extras that take up so.much.room.
I am pretty sure each pregnancy (and yep, totally blaming it on the pregnancy), I have been 100% that there is one more thing (gear, gadget, etc.) that I simply cannot do without. And then I get annoyed with it all and ready to move on as soon as Baby is.
However, this is one “baby accessory” that every mom needs. Meet Shellter. Based locally (for me) out of Bozeman, it solves the problem of a growing belly AND babywearing. Personally I think most pregnancy and baby wearing jackets are a waste of money. I’d much rather be able to continue wearing my tried and true high-performing ones with a little help….and then go back to them when the baby belly is gone (however long that takes…) or I am not carrying the baby.
How it works:
- The Shellter zips into your jacket either on its own, or with the help of one of their adapters.
- It can cinch in two different places for a more custom fit.
- You can also purchase a hood that snaps on for a bit more coverage for Baby
- For pregnancy you snap the fasteners at the top like shown in the image below, taken directly from Shellter. I did not have the Shellter when I was pregnant, but am certain it works beautifully.
If you look closely at all the jackets you own, you’ll notice that there are a lot of different zippers out there. In fact, of the 7 (eep!) jackets I have, not two of them have the same zipper. So, it’s certainly possible that your jacket won’t work with a Shellter, BUT, it’s very likely that at least one of them will.
Andrea (the head honcho behind the operation) has a great information page showing the different kinds of zippers that will work with the Shellter and what to do if you need a more custom fit. Check it out here. Right now all of the zippers for Shellter work only for right-side zippers, so note that first!
The next zipper she is coming out with is the one that fits Patagonia jackets (or so I am told).
The jacket extender itself has a cozy fleece inner and an outer that is stain, oil and water resistant (but still breathable). Unless it’s really cold, I can wear Baby with just a hat on…and maybe a jacket if she prefers her hands more out than in. So much easier than a full snowsuit + boots AND regulating her body temperature.
What I love:
- It can be used for a long time (pregnancy and baby wearing)
- It zips into all the most common zippers in the U.S.
- It lets me (and my husband) wear the jackets we prefer anyway
- I can continue hiking and skiing and playing outside safely and warmly
What I would love to see improved:
- I wish there were a way to just flip it around to make it work for either left or right zippers
- I’d love the hood to be a bit bigger and with an optional under-chin snap to keep it on
One of our top gear picks for women (and men!) who wear their babies and for pregnancy. Because it’s good for EVERYONE when Mom can get outside too!
If you can handle my shaky videographer…..here’s a quick video showing how it works!
Shellter generously provided us this gear in order to facilitate this review. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own.
© 2016, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.