Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.– John Muir
The Shotgun Kids MTN Bike Seat (also available on Amazon) attaches directly to any mountain bike (yes, even those with a drop post) to allow parents to ride the singletrack with their kids aged 2-5, a perfect age to invite them along for the ride! The seat has a range of adjustment to fit top tubes from 35 – 68mm wide, and down tubes from 35 – 100mm wide so fits virtually any mountain bike with suspension.
Unlike many other kid-bike seat options, the Shotgun positions the child between the adult and the handlebars so they can be actively participating in the ride opposed to a trailer or rear seat.
The Shotgun Kids MTB Seat is perfect for:
- Parents who want to introduce their little one to the thrill of the ride
- Parents of a preschooler looking for a super fun way to get more trail time
- People who want to lower their carbon footprint and don’t want to spend a ton of money on a new electric cargo bike
- Parents who have one child that loves to mountain bike, and another that is still too young and/or doesn’t have interest
Real Life Testing
I’m a mama of two, living in a great little mountain town with singletrack right out the back door. My kids (7 & 9) are biking fools, and though they are long past the age of the Shotgun Kids MTB seat, I’ve been riding with one.
Why? Because sometimes it Takes A Village. See, my best trail riding buddy is a little outnumbered. She has 4-year-old twins AND a 7-year-old singleton. As you can imagine, there is a shortage of sitters wiling to take on that circus (along with a shortage of funds to pay the sitters who ARE willing).
We all want a good workout, and time in nature is vital to mama-sanity. So, my friend and I simply attach the front mounted MTB seats to our bikes, round up the circus, saddle up and ride off into the sunset.
The best part? The kids LOVE IT. And that kind of love is contagious.
“Mtn Papa” in Jackson, WY area:
I have two young girls who are not on pedals but hate missing out on family rides. While we really need two Shotguns for our family, for now the girls love taking turns and experiencing the joy of mountain biking.
Our two year old is just barely big enough to fit into the feet stirrups, but I have to keep a close eye on her so she doesn’t let go or slide off the seat.
The three year old, however, is just about a perfect passenger – she hangs on tight, doesn’t weigh too much, and it’s easy to see over her head.
We also rode with our 5 year old who loved it, but it was definitely more kid to be hauling around and made it more difficult to ride.
What we LOVE about the Shotgun Kids MTB seat:
- centered weight distribution keeps the ride feeling stable
- sturdy, quality construction
- quick installation (under 10 minutes)
- secure foot straps with grippy pegs
- bike frame is protected by the moulded rubber
- since it is mounted to the bike frame, the MTB seat can be used with a dropper seatpost!
What the KIDS LOVE:
- The extra cushy bike seat for little tushies
- Having a chat while riding
- Asking questions
- Spotting & snatching edible berries on the fly
- Mountain biking is “awesome”
- Ringing your bike bell (provided you have one)
What we aren’t so crazy about:
- It requires multiple tools for installation and adjustments.
- Switching between bikes takes a bit of time – it’s not a quick transfer on the trail.
- The saddle gets smokin’ hot in the sun in a matter of seconds! Cover it up when you dismount to protect little bums later.
- The rubber strap that secures the kids’ foot to the peg could use an additional hole for slimmer shoes / smaller feet.
Overall, we are very impressed with the Shotgun Kids MTB Seat. It is easy to use, great for singletrack adventures, city bike paths, and the preschool commute. It keeps the kids involved and engaged in the riding experience.
Depending on the height/weight/maturity of the child, and the geometry of the mountain bike, this seat can get little ones out on the trails years before they are ready to ride singletrack on their own.
Note: seated height of child, combined with the bike geometry & sizing vary greatly among individuals. If you have concerns about the usability of the seat, contact customer service, or take advantage of their generous 60 day return policy.
The Shotgun is available on Amazon and their site.
© 2019, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Re-publication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.