When I put a call out to find my TEAM to help me grow Tales of a Mountain Mama and reach more families, I was hoping for a couple dozen applicants. I thought even that was a lofty goal. I was swamped by over FIFTY moms wanting to join us. I am so humbled.
It was obvious the amount of work they all put into their applications – many of them were very far out of their comfort zones and dreamed big anyway. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You make all the blood, sweat and tears I have put into this site and this movement over the past 7 years worth it.
Choosing only a handful of YOU has been honestly excruciating. In fact, it has taken me longer than I had hoped as I carefully try to round out our needs with families of different age kids, different locations and different strengths.
Without further adieu, I am so pleased to announce my dynamic team that you will be seeing on the site over the next few months.
- Emily Christensen: Emily is a full-time working mama and wife raised in the Ouachita Mountains and currently navigating life in northern Missouri as she finishes up her PhD in chemistry. Over the years, adventure has become a part of her lifestyle, leading her and her husband Rocky into outdoor activities like hiking, scuba diving, camping, kayaking, fly fishing, and now parenting—their biggest adventure yet! Now Emily is applying her adventurous spirit into getting her family outside no matter the season to instill that same love of nature and exploration in their two-year-old son, and connecting with other families to inspire them to do the same.
- Ginny Galbreth: Ginny has spent her career focused on getting people outside; working with the Park Service, Forest Service, Student Conservation Association and Keystone Science School, as well as spending a decade in the outdoor retail industry. She practices what she preaches, so can usually be found outside: downhill and cross-country skiing in the winter and hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, riding her dual-sport motorcycle, running, and SUPing in the summer. She currently lives in Colorado with her husband, 1-year old son, and awesome trail dog.
- Jackie Semmens: Jackie is a writer and a mom of a five year old, three year old and a baby living in Helena, MT. She thought that hiking might help tame her children’s wild spirits, and co-leads a Hike it Baby branch. All that hiking only made her crew wilder, but in a good way. Before kids she enjoyed reading, knitting and baking, but now she enjoys making it to bedtime. Photo below shows just how hard it is to get a family photo with EVERYONE these days. Husband behind the camera!
- Nancy East: Nancy lives and plays in the mountains of western North Carolina with her husband, three children, and dog. She is a small animal veterinarian but she also owns an online baking business she started when her kids were babies so she could stay home with them. On her blog, Hope and Feather Travels, she writes extensively about her family’s hiking adventures. She also writes about outdoor education topics, inspired by her position on her county’s search and rescue team. Her greatest passion is spending time the Great Outdoors and she is a strong advocate for curing “nature deficit disorder” in children. Her family spends as much time as possible hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking, and skiing, and she is a firm believer that good gear makes for great adventures.
- Stephanie Johnson: Stephanie is a South Idaho native but currently lives in Columbia, MO with her husband, Jayson, and gang of girls—Clara (6), Mckinlay (4), and Ruth (1). As a family of 5 they enjoy biking, hiking, skiing, camping, traveling, backpacking and being silly. Like many others they’re trying to balance the complexities of work and family life. They’ve found that time slows down when they’re outside adventuring together and appreciate the simplicity and beauty they find there.
- Valerie White: Valerie is a homeschooling mama of two dirt lovin’ kids, ages 6 & 8, an old labrador retriever mix, and a brand new adventure kitty. She loves spending time with her family outdoors & is a self-proclaimed bibliophile. Valerie and her family can be found mountain biking, canyoneering & scooping sand in Utah; skiing and building snow forts in Colorado; hiking & hugging cactus in Arizona; and hunting for singletrack, tadpoles & breweries in Oregon. Their house is currently in Colorado, but their home & hearts are wherever their tent is staked.
And if you’re new here, a bit about me:
- Amelia Mayer: Amelia lives with her husband 5 children outside of Jackson, WY. She’s can wrestle a kid into a snowsuit like a ninja, isn’t above bribing her kids on the trail and is just a better mom outside. She started Tales of a Mountain Mama almost 8 years ago on a whim, and still loves connecting with other outdoor families all over the country.
Please warmly welcome these ladies – they are amazing and I’m so thrilled to have them!
© 2018, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.