Previously on the blog we reviewed Deuter’s Kid Carrier III. We were excited to have a chance to get our hands on another Deuter product just to see where they held up among their competitors in the sleeping bag area. The Deuter Starlight EXP (on sale right now at Altrec for $71.19) is another great product engineered with kids in mind. In fact, they even thought about growing kids with the ability to unzip an additional 12 inches at the bottom of the bag. Again, this keeps in line with the fact that smaller bodies NEED smaller bags to keep warmest. With a rough rating of 40 degrees F, this is definitely a summer bag, but a great one.
What we love:
– That extra 12 inches buys at least a year or two.
– The fill is soft and lightweight/.
– It packs down super small
– It has a velco flap that goes over the zipper to prevent the zipper from moving down AND from kids getting caught in it!
What we aren’t so crazy about:
– Wouldn’t it be wonderful if there were ONE sleeping bag that could work for all conditions for all kids? This is very much a summer bag, so would not be recommended for fall/spring/winter camping.
An excellent summer bag for kids that will keep them warm for years (thanks to the 12 inches of extension at the bottom of the bag!)
This review was possible through the generosity ofTiny Trekker. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own. Additionally, some of these links ARE affiliates. If you choose to use them to purchase a kid’s sleeping bag for your child, it helps offset the cost of this blog in a (very) small way. Thank you! See our full disclosure here.
Amelia lives with her husband and five young children outside of Jackson, WY in Grand Teton National Park. As a mom, she quickly learned that the secret to sanity was to spend more time outside where tantrums don't see quite so bad. Amelia started TMM in 2012 to help encourage all families (including her own) to get outside, no matter the weather. Due to the necessity of having to keep so many kids warm and happy, she has become an expert in kids' gear and loves being able to share it with others.