We are no gourmet cooks around here when it comes to camping. Truth be told, I am often so worried about all the rest of the gear and getting ourselves there that food falls to the wayside. We just don’t get too fancy, though we’ve been stepping up our game a bit this year.
Campfire Chocolate Oranges
These are a fun treat for around the campfire. A little prep work at home before you're camping does make the process much easier.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 5 large oranges
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 can of orange sparkling water
Prep Ahead at Home Instructions
- Cut off the very top of the oranges and scoop out the insides. It is sometimes easiest to cut the oranges a bit inside the peel and then they are easier to scoop. Set aside the orange and the lid to bring with you camping.
At the campsite
- At the campfire, mix the chocolate cake mix and 1 can of orange flavored sparkling water.
- Pour some of the brownie mix into each of the oranges so they are about ¾ of the way full.
- Put the top on the orange.
- Wrap the oranges in heavy-duty tin foil. Set the wrapped orange in the middle of another sheet of tin foil and pull the sides up and twist to make a foil handle.
- Set them in the coals of your fire and cook for 10 minutes before checking. Check batter to see if it’s done and then cook another 10 minutes if not.
- Remove from fire, let cool slightly and then eat warm.
You can also use lemon-lime soda instead of sparkling water for this recipe if you choose. We think it makes it too sweet, but it totally works too.
© 2020, Tales of a Mountain Mama. All rights reserved. Republication, in part or entirety, requires a link back to this original post and permission from the author.
Five Easy Campfire Recipes - Tales of a Mountain Mama
Tuesday 16th of November 2021
[…] is a treat for the first night of a camping trip. A few days before you leave, cube up some steak or chicken – or both if you want! […]
Making a camp kitchen, menu planning and food storage | ActiveKidsClub
Tuesday 14th of May 2019
[…] -Orange filled with chocolate cupcakes […]
Tuesday 3rd of July 2012
Wow, I love this recipe. I have to try next time I'm having a firer. I'm sure the kids love it
Monday 2nd of July 2012
Yum! I've done this with blueberry muffins but not with cake, cake sounds like a much better idea :)